Skip to main content

Who is the lady in the Red Hat?

The photograph below is a picture taken by my Dad probably on 14th of June 1958. I knew who the little lad in the red trousers was, that would be me, but who was the lady in the Red hat?


In the picture along the back is my mum and her sister with my Grandad (Thomas Cairney aka Paw Paw) holding me. Dick Paton my other Grandfather is also at the back. My two Grannies are in the front row, at either end, Roberta Cairney and Annie McLaren Paton holding my brother Richard. The two ladies in the middle were a mystery to me.

I sent Mum an e-mail asking who these ladies were and she replied, "The lady (Red Hat) in the picture is Mary Ritchie from Edinburgh, your dad called her Auntie Mary, but did not think she was a relative. The one in the black hat was her daughter"

Dad called her Auntie Mary, this got me curious, so by doing a little research I found that she was actually related?

If I am correct she is Mary McLaren Fehrenbach? Born in 1884, her parents were Anton Fehrenbach a watchmaker and jeweller in Edinburgh, and Mary McLaren from Falkland. This Mary McLaren (the mother) was the sister of dads great granny Annie McLaren Armour who stayed with them when he was a young boy. Mary McLaren's daughter, Mary McLaren Fehrenbach was Dad's Granny's Cousin or in other words:
Dads 1st cousin two times removed. 


Here is a family tree showing how Mary McLaren Fehrenbach is related to me. Her Grandfather was Robert McLaren from "Greenwells" cottage in the Lomond Hills Falkland Fife, he was my 3x Great Grandfather. My Great Granny being Mary Arthur Armour as shown below.



Mary McLaren Fehrenbach married James Ritchie on the 3rd Sept 1918 in Edinburgh, the strange thing is that James Ritchie had changed his name from James C. Tighe to his mothers maiden surname of Ritchie, I have no idea why he has done this? His father was called James Christopher Tighe a Theatrical Manager and his wife was Alice Ritchie.

James Ritchie was shown as a Stereotyper on his marriage in 1918 and private number 34588 Royal Army Medical Corps, presently with the British Expeditionary Force France. 
Mary McLaren Fehrenbach was shown as a Domestic Servant staying at 10 Wester Coates av. Edinburgh. The two witness's to their marriage were Leonard Tighe and Annie McLaren Jobson, my Granny. So my granny was her bridesmaid? 

My Dad told me that every Christmas time, the Ritchie family would send him and his brothers a gift of books.

Mary McLaren Fehrenbach's mother Mary Mclaren was born in Falkland Fife (1839), most probably up in "Greenwells" cottage in the Lomond Hills. I can trace her moving to 6 Union Street in Edinburgh with her Mother (Mary McLaren - Maiden Surname = Arthur) and her sister Helen in 1871. The mother (Mary Arthur) appears to be here without husband Robert McLaren who is still living at "Greenwells" Falkland with his other daughter Agnes. Mary would appear to be keeping lodgers at 6 Union street and her daughter Helen is staying there. There is also a 1 year old Grandson John McLaren staying with them, I am not sure who his parents are at the moment.

In 1881 I now find Mary McLaren (b 1839) has moved to 3a Haddington Place and is keeping lodgers and I believe this is how she met the father of her daughter Mary McLaren Fehrenbach. Mr F. A. Fehrenbach is staying at number 7 Drummond street in 1871 but eventually he shown staying at 3a and 4 Haddington Place in 1891 Census.


On 17th October 1884 Mary McLaren Fehrenbach was actually born illegitimate while her mother Mary, stayed at 2 Haddington Place Edinburgh, as a Grocer. Mary's illegitimate daughter was actually shown as Mary Fehrenbach McLaren on her birth certificate and no father's name given, although a bit of a clue with the middle name.


Haddington place in Edinburgh seems to be a very popular place for the McLarens see my list shown below:


1861
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1861/62
1862
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1862/63
1863
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1863/64
1867
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1867/68
1868
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
The new Edinburgh and Leith 1868/69
1869
2A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1869/70
1870
1A Haddington Place
Colin Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1870/71
1876
2A Haddington Place
John Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1876/77
1876
2a Haddington Place
Margaret McLaren
Fathers letter to the Dalry Cemetery
1880
1 Haddington Place
John Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1880/81
1881
I Haddington Place
Margaret McLaren
Census
1881
1 Haddington Place
John Jack
Census
1881
3a Haddington Place
Mary McLaren
1881 Census
1881
1 Haddington Place
John Jack _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1881/82
1882
3a Haddington Place
Mary McLaren
Witness to Brother in Law Robert Armour's will
1883
1 Haddington Place
Richard McLaren_ Dairy & Licensed valuator
Post Office Directory 1883/84
1884
3 Haddington Place
Mary McLaren Fehrenbach
Birth Certificate
1891
3a & 4a Haddington Place
Mary Mclaren
Keeping Boarders in the 1891 Census
1891
3a & 4a Haddington Place
Franz A Fehrenbach _Lodger
1891 Census
1891
1 Haddington Place
Richard McLaren _ Dairyman
Post Office Directory 1891/92

Briefly:

Colin Jack -  is the Father-in-Law of Margaret McLaren, John Jack's wife.He is running a Dairy business at Haddington Place.

John Jack -  the husband of Margaret McLaren. John initialy assists in his father Colin's dairy business but takes over around 1873 till about 1883 when they move to Auchtermuchty, Fife.

Mary McLaren - Mother of Mary McLaren Fehrenbach.

Richard McLaren - The Brother of Mary McLaren, above. He appears to take over the Dairy business in 1883.

Mary McLaren Fehrenbach - The daughter of Mary McLaren  - "The Lady with the Red Hat" Main story above.

Franz A Fehrenbach - The father of Mary Mclaren Fehrenbach.

The picture below shows Haddington place in Edinburgh via Google Street view, Hi Fi Corner is number 1 and Victoria Barbers is number 3.





Mary Mclaren Ritchie (Maiden surname Fehrenbach) died in 1961 in East Fortune Hospital aged 76 years.

This story is very likely to be much updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE BRICK WALL - John Jobson, Farmer, Bolton Mills near Alnwick.

John Jobson – Farmer, Bolton Mills near Alnwick, England, this is my Fourth Great Grandfather.


In genealogy very often, you will hit a brick wall in the quest to go back further in time, and indeed, I hit one while working through the Jobson branch of my family tree. I was able to go back as far as my 3x Great Grandfather Robert Jobson, but could progress no further. However, later with some luck, and attacking the problem from a different angle, I was able to progress, finding my 4x Great Grandfather to be John Jobson.

How did I find this out, well I started of with facts which were known to be correct, starting with my Grandmother.
My Granny was Annie Mclaren Jobson and from a copy of her marriage certificate to Richard Paton in 1922, I found her parents to be Robert Jobson and Mary Armour. Her birth certificate, which my father had, showed that the date of her parent’s marriage was 4th September 1891 and that her mother’s full name was Mary Arthur Armour. I also found out on Scotlands…

Searching for Anne McLaren Armour 1837 - 1928


We took a trip recently to Edinburgh and while there took a wander along to Dalry cemetery, as my Great Great Granny, Anne Armour is buried there. Dad mentioned that she had been buried in Edinburgh, and only had a very small headstone. This undertakers bill, shows that it was in Dalry Cemetery. It was an interesting place, if not a bit overgrown with plants and weeds etc , no doubt a haven for wildlife, however we did not locate any relatives graves as it looks like I will need to obtain a map showing the original layout of the graveyard.
Please note that all pictures on this page are clickable for a larger size.



Anne McLaren Armour had spent the last years of her life staying with my Granny Paton in
Parliament Square Kings Kettle, and dad remembers her although he was only four years old at the time.


When Anne died it was arranged for her to be buried in Dalry Cemetery Edinburgh and this was a 150 mile round trip from Kingskettle as no Forth Road bridge existed at the time, there w…