Skip to main content

Still looking for Anne Armour - died 1928.





We were in Edinburgh today and took another wander along to Dalry Cemetery looking for the grave of Anne McLearn Armour. We had been there a while ago but had gone without a map or plan, more for just a look I suppose. It's just as much a jungle today as it was then, but now armed with a plan of the cemetery and the names of people buried in the adjacent plots, as we had been advised there was no gravestone noted for Ann in the records. The detail we had showed that we needed to search along the whole of the west wall of the cemetery for our plot D139. What we needed to find was a gravestone marked Yorkston 1894 in plot D140 and another marked William Wells 1930 plot D132 (advised this one was laid flat though).  Off we headed through the Jungle of Brambles and all sorts of weeds.


Just as well I had taken a pair of gardening gloves with me, as to get a good look at the wall you had to pull many thorny Bramble bushes aside to see if any gravestones were hiding behind. We started at the bottom and worked our way up to the top of the cemetery with no luck, so we decided to have another closer look on the way down. Once again Kim came up trumps and announced she had found a grave marked Yorston we had been looking for Yorkston, however it was the correct date of death, so it appears there had been a spelling error in the name given to us. 



This Yorston grave was plot 140 the adjacent one to Anne's plot 139, so in I waded pulling Brambles aside and covered in sticky willow looked further up the wall where Anne's plot should be. The wall looked very bare no small plaques, hower Dad had said there was a small plaque located on the ground, however that was almost impossible to see without a good set of secateurs, which I didn't have available. However nearby I did uncover a rather large toppled headstone which may have been covering any smaller one. The picture below shows the Yorston gravestone and the bare wall where any headstone for Anne would have been, although Bearing in mind that Dad said it was actually a small on on the ground, you would need to clear the undergrowth considerably for a good look. A closer look of the picture you can see part of the toppled headstone in the bottom left, in the brambles.  No name can be seen on the toppled stone as it's upside down.



Anyway I'm sure we have now located the correct location, just as yet no marker stone of any kind.
So for now happy to know the location seen in the picture below. Plot 140, the Yorston grave is the large stone centre of the picture, with Anne's plot 139 would be further along the wall towards the left of the photo.







John Yorston was only a 6 year old boy when he died of Dipthearea on 2nd January 1894. His father also John was a lorry man. Young John was staying at 10 Gibson Terrace in Edinburgh during the census of 1891, with his father John, mother Alice, and younger brother William.




Thought I'd add the last one above, just along the wall a wee bit, nicely framed in the brambles.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE BRICK WALL - John Jobson, Farmer, Bolton Mills near Alnwick.

John Jobson – Farmer, Bolton Mills near Alnwick, England, this is my Fourth Great Grandfather.


In genealogy very often, you will hit a brick wall in the quest to go back further in time, and indeed, I hit one while working through the Jobson branch of my family tree. I was able to go back as far as my 3x Great Grandfather Robert Jobson, but could progress no further. However, later with some luck, and attacking the problem from a different angle, I was able to progress, finding my 4x Great Grandfather to be John Jobson.

How did I find this out, well I started of with facts which were known to be correct, starting with my Grandmother.
My Granny was Annie Mclaren Jobson and from a copy of her marriage certificate to Richard Paton in 1922, I found her parents to be Robert Jobson and Mary Armour. Her birth certificate, which my father had, showed that the date of her parent’s marriage was 4th September 1891 and that her mother’s full name was Mary Arthur Armour. I also found out on Scotlands…

Who is the lady in the Red Hat?

The photograph below is a picture taken by my Dad probably on 14th of June 1958. I knew who the little lad in the red trousers was, that would be me, but who was the lady in the Red hat?


In the picture along the back is my mum and her sister with my Grandad (Thomas Cairney aka Paw Paw) holding me. Dick Paton my other Grandfather is also at the back. My two Grannies are in the front row, at either end, Roberta Cairney and Annie McLaren Paton holding my brother Richard. The two ladies in the middle were a mystery to me.
I sent Mum an e-mail asking who these ladies were and she replied, "The lady (Red Hat) in the picture is Mary Ritchie from Edinburgh, your dad called her Auntie Mary, but did not think she was a relative. The one in the black hat was her daughter"
Dad called her Auntie Mary, this got me curious, so by doing a little research I found that she was actually related?

If I am correct she is Mary McLaren Fehrenbach? Born in 1884, her parents were Anton Fehrenbach a watc…

Searching for Anne McLaren Armour 1837 - 1928


We took a trip recently to Edinburgh and while there took a wander along to Dalry cemetery, as my Great Great Granny, Anne Armour is buried there. Dad mentioned that she had been buried in Edinburgh, and only had a very small headstone. This undertakers bill, shows that it was in Dalry Cemetery. It was an interesting place, if not a bit overgrown with plants and weeds etc , no doubt a haven for wildlife, however we did not locate any relatives graves as it looks like I will need to obtain a map showing the original layout of the graveyard.
Please note that all pictures on this page are clickable for a larger size.



Anne McLaren Armour had spent the last years of her life staying with my Granny Paton in
Parliament Square Kings Kettle, and dad remembers her although he was only four years old at the time.


When Anne died it was arranged for her to be buried in Dalry Cemetery Edinburgh and this was a 150 mile round trip from Kingskettle as no Forth Road bridge existed at the time, there w…